Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:33:53 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AW: Fuel consumption
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com>

That must be why my mileage is down- the shop left three leaks in my "new" header that is upstream of the O2 sensor , and my engine is running rich. I wish I could get a set of Tiico type headers to replace the chopped up too short and ugly headers I almost ended paying almost 800.00 dollars for.

Your headers and all connections have to be air tight, as the back pressure is also needed to keep from burning valves, and losing horsepower.

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1991 Syncro Vanagon

----- Jim Arnott Tuesday, November 05, 2002 8:17 PM vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Fuel consumption

Found yet another cause for rotten gas mileage today. Last week, the header pipe from cylinders 1/3 lost the bolts where it joins the collector. (1.9 wasserboxer) When the bolts fell out, the gasket disappeared. Not having a spare, I decided to just put up with the small leak and just bolted it back together without the gasket.

Fast forward to Monday. Head to school. (100 mile one-way commute) 3/4s of a tank???? Filled up and headed home. 3/4s of a tank????? Only difference was the silly gasket. Replaced the gasket and the mileage went from 13 to 22.

Hypothesis: The exhaust leak not only allowed exhaust to escape, it also allowed fresh air in. BEFORE the O2 sensor. O2 sensor reads lean mixture from lessened and diluted exhaust and tells the ECU to richen it up to compensate. Hence 13 mpg.

The upside is that now I *know* that my O2 sensor is working.

Ya learn sumptin gnu every day...

JimHolen Sie mehr aus dem Web. Unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp#de gibt es einen KOSTENLOSEN Download von MSN Explorer.