Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:40:18 -0000
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Drilled brake discs

> I am no expert, but I thought the whole point of cross drilling was to dissipate heat.

Dissipate heat maybe yes, DISTRIBUTE IT EVENLY - No. the result - non-uniform stress distribution whose strains mitigate towards cracking, hairline or worse.

Short term transient heat dissipation is achieved simply by mass, greater thickness for a given diameter > thermal inertia. Its the longer term heat dissipation that drilling should improve, through induced airflow (and a turbulent boundary layer). So you lose on transient thermal inertia and maybe gain on prolonged braking anti-fade, with the downside that should the temperature gradients become excessive, a drilled disk is more likely to warp and/or crack. Possibly, more clever hole profiles and certainly attention to the finer points of drilling, reaming and radiusing/deburring would mitigate this possibility to a greater or lesser degree.

Re: Conductivity - Hard steel is much worse than cast iron and low carbon steels, stainless is quite an insulator c.f. carbon steels. Carbon-carbon composites (you call them graphite, well Courtaulds invented it so its still carbon composites to us) as originally developed here for Concordes brakes and subsequently F1 cars are of course the ultimate material - if we are able to keep the whole thing at the right temperature - F1 cars do of course and Concordes brakes heat up pretty quickly I should think - it was this weight saving that virtually made a full payload possible to Washington from London - NMPKT!

Clive '88 Syncro Transporter

----- Original Message ----- From: "80 Westy Pokey" <pokey@VANAGON.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 11:40 AM Subject: Re: Drilled Rotors vs. Big Brake Kit