Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:38:31 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wheel Help please
Comments: To: adrian.bertarelli@ATTBI.COM

Adrian,

Take care that you have enough clearance for 16" wheels. You are looking to add 2 inches of wheel diameter. That is a big jump for most people and most Syncros.

You will have to go to a tire with a lowered aspect ratio if you want to clear a stock unaltered Syncro suspension. That means less rubber between your Syncro and the road (or trail). Likelihood of rim damage is greater. If you manage to install taller tires to overcome this, you will need more horsepower to turn them or change your gearing to compensate for change in ratios caused by the taller tire and wheel combo.

Don't forget that you may also need to cut some of your fenders out if you go to really tall rubber. I have a stock 16" Syncro with the exact wheels that you are considering. The wheel wells are cut and provided with urethane flares by the factory so that the bigger wheels can be accommodated. The one part most people neglect to consider is front fender. When you turn the wheels, the outer edges on the big wheels will make contact on the rear edge of the fenderwell.

Width is critical in taller wheel applications too. Just because the wheel and tire combo can fit inside your wheel wells while the wheels are pointing straight ahead doesn't mean you are in business. The wider the wheels, the more likely you will run into the front fender problem discussed in the previous paragraph. Then there's the sliding door clearance problem. Too too many to discuss in one email.

Therein lies the rub (pardon the pun). The VW factory 16" steel wheels are too narrow for most folks. They are only 5.5 inches wide. Too tall to fit in stock fenderwells with anything taller than a 50 series tire. Plus you will probably have to grind away some of the material at the seam of your rear trailing arm. Too much for too little in my opinion.

The Mercedes steel wheels usually have a different offset. I have some of these on one of my Vanagons now. Too big an ET number will narrow your track to the point that the van will feel tippy compared to before. Many are not rated for the weight of a fully laden Westy.

Anyway, I am rambling now. I believe 16 inch wheels are a more for show than go in a regular Syncro. You are better off going with 15" wheels with taller tires. Tires cost less and are more available. Rims cost less and are more available. Heck you can go nuts over them and install 235 tires like some folks. You will need fender cutting for tires taller than 215/70/15.

If you are local to the SF area, pmail me. I will be happy to show you in person what some of these wheels can do to your Syncro. Bring a strong back and a good lugwrench. I lost track of how may different types of wheels I won which can fit Vanagons. I also have steel adapters for installing Porsche rims as well as alloy rims redrilled to fit. 14"-17" tall and 5.5 "-9" wide.

BenT Rhims <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>