Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:18:48 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: FW: Rectangle headlight conversion to common 200mm headlights
Comments: To: Dana Morphew <kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET>

That is what I have wondered. My father uses this silicon all the time and says that it will take the heat. Time will tell. It is just an experiment. I know it would be best to weld this thing to the metal frame, but there just isn't enough metal here in my opinion (everything is super thin metal with reflective surface on the other side so any type of discoloration by the welding would be bad).

Ha, Ha, Ha (this is for George so he can't accuse me of not having a sense of humor:).

As for the adhesive argument, I am sure it is valid. However if you take a look at many headlight assemblies you will note that the glass front lens on most of the ones I have seen are attached to the metal reflector by only a thin bead of silicon (or some sealant). So if a thin bead of sealant is enough to hold the heavy glass in place for the life of the part, I think perhaps my silicon idea has some merit. I'll let you know my findings in the year 2050 when they are concluded and I have just won the Nobel Peace prize:-)

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242