Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:42:40 -0800
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Drilled Rotors vs. Big Brake Kit - related Q
Comments: To: westydriver <westydriver@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>

I agree that stopping a westy is a matter of physics. I'm pretty comfortable with the concept of turning kinetic energy into thermal energy via the brakes to stop an automobile. My brakes simply don't make that shift in energy fast enough. However, again, i am no where near the "locking up the tires" phenomena that you seem to delight in taunting me with :-).

Certainly once you have locked 'em up, any harder braking won't help (if you look at a friction curve for a tire just before to after it skids, there is more friction with the road pre-skid... another reason for ABS). I'm just trying to figure out the most effective way to simply have that (skid) option.

I've also toured through the rockies and the AlCan highway more times than i can recall, so i'm familiar with what braking requirements those demand. Beautiful areas, though.

-Damon

westydriver <westydriver@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO> wrote:the limitations on braking in a westy are pure physics...you still have to stop a massive amount of weight with an awesome kinetic energy storage for something that size. the bigger disk sets i have seen mounted just help lock the brakes up and the braking distance is still the same except you now have a worn out set of tires as well as loss of control. however the crossvented rotors would be helpful in preventing brake fade going up and down the hills they call the rockies in this area. jimt

'84 Westy