Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:32:46 -0800
From:         James <tornadored@HOTPOP.COM>
Subject:      Re: hesitation, bogging, rough idle
Comments: To: Doktor Tim <doktortim@rockisland.com>

> In order not to waste money on guessing, verifications have to be made in a > distinct order. Mechanicals come first. Compression balance must be known.

Well, you're right, of course, Tim. Your anecdote is good informative testimony (thanks). But, of course I was looking for the shortcut!

There usually seems to be common problems w/ common solutions, so I hope for the best. It may be worth the small gamble to me to replace a few cheap things that are likely suspects, rather than go through the time/expense of "proper" diagnosis (pardon any blasphemy). I think if I always fixed things the right way, I'd have a few less pennies in my pocket! To add to my rationale, some of the "quick-fixes" are things that could (should) be checked/replaced anyway...which maybe is more in line w/ your rationale, after all.

> You must make the proper knowledge > available in the proper order to insure that all daemons are exorcised.

Well, I like to keep a couple of those little guys around just to keep things interesting.

I'll check/replace the "easy" stuff that some have suggested, and if the quick-fixes don't do it, then I'll hit the list w/ some compression numbers! (albeit, defeated by the odds)

Thanks all,

James 90 Carat