Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:06:51 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Tire Matrix Creation Task Force - Proposal
Comments: To: "wetwesties@yahoogroups." <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com, ev_update@yahoogroups.com,
          vanagon@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@mindspring.com>,
          Lucas Valdes <lucas@peparts.com>,
          vwcafe@volkscafe.com, kenwilfy@comcast.net

VW Van Volks,

Seems to me the question of "What Tire is Best for the Vanagon or Eurovan" is too confusing, emotional and a ton of misinformation is floating around.

Sizes, Max load, Max Inflation, Revs Per Mile etc.

Then of course you have ... Wheel Well Clearances, Performance Decreases, Speedometer Errors etc.

Some of the mis-information may even have the potential of turning into another "Firestone Sidewall Blowout Fiasco".

I'd really hate to see anyone get hurt from this, either Physically or Financially.

Facts and opinions fly around interchangeably.

Lots of good information exists, but it's not collected in one place ...... and some of the info that is posted is out of date.

What I propose,

Lets put together a "Tire Matrix Task Force".

Since I don't know a dam thing ... I'll volunteer to take "Point" >>>> kind of like Military Intelligence.

The advantage of not knowing much, like me, is that I don't know what I don't know and I'm not smart enough to know better than volunteer for a project like this.

I wonder if Bill Kasper started out the same way on the SA Group Purchase Project :)

Actually I'm a pretty decent "Project Manager", and could help move this potential project forward and keep it on track.

Then if a 6-8 of the most knowledgeable people on the List's volunteer as "Content Experts".

That would be the make up of the "Task Force"

I would recommend we encourage some of our great knowledgeable Vendors to participate in the task force.

Personal suggestion ... Ken/Vanagain, Lucas/Go Westy & Peter/Volks Cafe.

Perhaps we could even get a rep from Tirerack.Com and eTires.Com to participate.

Anyone have contacts at these places?

Objectives:

1. Define "Proposed Tire Criteria" for each major category of Vanagon & Eurovan (Passenger Vanagon, Westy, Weekender, Syncro).

2. Forward the "Proposed Criteria" to the Vanagon & Syncro List's for open discussion and debate. Incorporate any new info the debate flushes out, and publish the "Final Tire Criteria"

3. With the "Tire Criteria" in hand, the Task Force would then begin assemble list of recommended tires brands and sizes .... in 14, 15" and 16".

4. Once done we publish the conclusions to ... all our Preferred Vendors, our Vanagon, Eurovan, Westfalia & Syncro Lists or wherever we decide.

Please post your thoughts on this proposal to the Vanagon.Com List so all can see the thread.

If not a member, send them to me and I'll post for you.

Hitting the Trail Soon,

Larry Chase

Email: lchase@attglobal.net Web: www.roadhaus.com - Under Construction What: The Great North American Road Trip When: 01.02.03 How: RoadHaus - 1990 2.2 L VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Mesa, AZ - 12V Stuff From: Mesa, AZ