Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:14:27 -0800
From:         "Greenamyer, William L" <william.l.greenamyer@BOEING.COM>
Subject:      need some help here

As some of you know, I have been fighting a leak that I have been unable to find. It appears to be somewhere around the #4 plug (possibly the head stud cap nut) but the only time it seems to leak is when the engine is hot and I am driving at 65-70mph. The leak is intermittant. Over 150 miles, it leaks from the full mark in the overflow tank to the minimum mark. I am still getting 22+mpg and this includes driving up a 6 degree grade every day (home to work and back is 150 miles). The problem with this leak is that the coolent is getting all over the idle stabelizer and the other wiring and electronics at the front part of the engine compartment where the suspect leak is at the back of the engine compartment. I am guessing that the air currents around the back of the engine are throwing the coolent to the front of the engine compartment. The engine cover is saturated in the driver side front corner. It does not appear to be any of the hoses. The hoses are getting wet from obvious dripping down. One side of the spark plug wires (the side toward the rear of the vehicle) is wet from the coolent. Also, the top of the engine (where the head gasket is) appears to be basically dry so there is no indication of a gasket leak.

Those are the symptoms. Right now I don't have any other way to test this other than driving and then looking. Has anyone had this type of problem before? I am looking for ways to localize this so I know if it is something that I can repair or I will have to do the heads.

William