Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Nov 2002 00:16:43 -0000
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: BMEP question

> Can anyone define it, is it different from engine to engine (I assume it > is), and can an engine builder change this? What factors affect it?

BMEP is Brake Mean Effective Pressure

It is effectively an integration (summing) of pressure in the cylinder against crank rotation for a whole engine cycle (2 rotations in the case of a 4 stroke)

So, the peak pressure on the piston might be in the 1000's of psi, but at other times, it might be negative (exhaust slug disappearing down a tuned exhaust). Using a mechanical 'indicator' diagram (these days electronic transducers), a plot of the actual variations can be had and then by various means (planimeter, these days digital curve analysis) the mean value established.

What does this mean (sic)? It is a measure of the TORQUE, as pressure on the piston acting against the leverage of the crank (varying sinusoidally) is exactly this.

However, note that it can be derived by reverse engineering! Knowing the torque (easily measured), the mean cyclic pressure in the cylinder to achieve this can be calculated. And there are no approximations of note in this back calculation - its exact.

Can it be changed? Yes, by improving cylinder filling, changing timing, exhaust/inlet mods etc etc - anything that changes torque.

What does it relate to exactly? Well, torque and by direct inference SFC (specific fuel consumption), nominally (hey pensioner, I know!, I know!) the inverse of bmep.

OK!

Clive '88 Syncro Transporter ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Mills" <scmills@TNTECH.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 10:57 PM Subject: BMEP question