Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Nov 2002 21:31:42 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dremels
Comments: To: clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM

In a message dated 11/2/02 8:32:42 PM, clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM writes:

<< ..wahts the lowdown on Dremels Vs Rotozips >>

Clive,

The Dremel is a toy and the Rotozip is a novelty.

For a few years, I used a Dremel, variable speed, ball bearing tool until its bearings went south after I took it to its limits one too many times. When I tried to get replacement bearings, I found that they were only available from Dremel and only as part of an assembly which included most of the motor frame. I also found out that Dremel had discontinued that part because the new style tool used a different bearing assembly. Dremel did give me some credit towards the purchase of a new style tool in exchange for my now useless one. I accepted their grand gesture of good will, but I also bought a Metabo die grinder with 1/4" and 1/8" collets. If ever the Metabo decides to go belly up, I might not even repair it because I have already gotten my money's worth.

As far as the Rotozip: here in the states they are hawked on 30 minute infomercials (their self-prescibed term for this wretched form of media, not mine) at 4 in the morning; I think that says all that is necessary to say about them.

George