Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:59:38 -0000
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Proud (long (i.e., boundless) semi-rant) off topic
Comments: To: THX0001@aol.com

Off topic, but I can't let that go...

Sorry - excuse me? I think we had them pretty well tamed by the time you got here (1943 - late, it had staretd in 1939 by the way and the Battle of Britain was summer 1940) we had the best interceptor in the world, (Mk IX Spitfire) the best bomber in the world (Avro Lancaster) and the first multi-role aircraft ever (DH Mosquito that Hap Arnold and Ike were offering 5 Bostons for every one - I think Ike's son had the joy of flying one in the med, in preference to his P38) - all rolling off the production lines in pretty big numbers. The Aussies and Canadians had been in since day one, as well as Poles, Czechs, free-French, Belgians and doubtful about the Dutch (but thats understandable!).

It was great hosting the USAF and letting them run rampant with our women while their men were away fighting for their lives - the sweets, coffee, 'nylons' etc were very well received, but don't kid yourself too much - and stop watching all those ridiculous (we won the war singlehanded) films that rewrite history - Westerns are OK, but don't believe a word of any WWII Hollywood film, especially those made recently - there were nearly threats of legal action over U571 by the widows of the Royal Navy Marines who actually got that Enigma machine from the U boat - US Marines - pah! Other recent travesties of truth - Bands of Brothers (the RAF had bombed Hitlers lair with Tallboys weeks before - the first 'earthquake bomb'), the Colditz Glider (it was RAF POW's who made it) and I didn't see many Brits (apart from Monty being disparaged) in Saving private Ryan - (an excellent film otherwise).

But I don't suppose Pearl Harbour had anything to do with it... nor another agenda altogether by any chance? So get real, we might be speaking Russian if you're hadn't dropped over - but certainly not German!

Clive

PS With great respect to all the USAF airmen who came here, fought and died or were wounded. Brave men indeed (but we did suggest to your top-brass that daytime bombing was a bit daft - especially in an old jallopy like the B-17!).

----- Original Message ----- From: <THX0001@aol.com> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>; <clive.harman-smith@ntlworld.com> Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 4:54 PM Subject: Re: Re:Proud (long (i.e., boundless) semi-rant)