Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:43:40 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stereo Power Amp

> high end high quality speakers are a waste in the > vanagon and most other vehicles. High end front > ends that do thirty variations on everything are > fancy trinkets that scream out "steal me".

I disagree. A Vanagon can sound quite good acoustically with the right equipment, and without going overboard. The stock speaker locations are rather close to ear level, the interior space is pretty much a rectangular "room," and (especially in a Westy) the acoustic "hardness" of the glass is somewhat offset by the absorbtive nature of the curtains, upholstery, etc.

1) Extra money spent on speakers will have a more direct impact on the sound than will extra money spent on a head unit. The CD section of a $100 and a $200 indash will sound pretty close, but as a rule a pair of $150 speakers will sound markedly better than a pair of $75 ones. Speakers are never the right place to cut corners. Listen to the speakers before you buy them, as there will be noticable differences in sonic charactor from one to another.

2) At the absolute bare minimum, get speakers with dome (rather than cone) tweeters. These tweeters disperse the treble around 150 degrees, rather than just shooting it forward. The result is that more of the sound will reach your ears rather than shooting above or below them.

3) Look at the sensitivity (efficiency) of the speakers that you choose. A less sensitive speaker will require more power to reach the same volume. Every 3 db reduction in sensitivity (all other things being equal) will mean you will need roughly TWICE as much power to achieve the same volume level (an issue considering that in a Vanagon there is quite a bit of space to fill with sound). So a very insensitive speaker system will require the purchase of a larger amp. Some higher-end speakers may sound very good but require gobs of power; others are much more sensitive. Lower end speakers all tend to be relatively sensitive, since they are intended to be played using low-power indashes.

4) I sell window crank handle spacers that will allow you to put aftermarket door speakers in the stock location even if the grills protrude, and still open your windows. (As another alternative, you may or may not be able to bend the stock window crank handles slightly to clear the grills without breaking them.)

5) Particularly you are using stock-sized 4" speakers (which have no real bass response below 100 hz), placing a subwoofer under the rear seat will make all the difference in the world. Cost for such a sub plus associated amp might be about $300-$500 installed - much less if you use a powered bass tube (which is not quite as good as a well-designed custom box properly matched for the vehicle and the sub). It is worth it.

6) It is easy to put in a mid-end or better system and make it "stealth." Most indashes are detachable face, etc. so that visually an amateur thief can't tell a cheapo from an expensive one when the face is turned or removed. Speakers can be mounted using cheapo (or factory) grills so nobody knows they're any good. (The installer may have a box full of cheap grills saved from units he removed when he installed upgraded speakers in customer cars.) A sub can be hidden under the rear seat, and amp(s) in the cabinetry of a Westy (or perhaps under the drivers seat if you don't have a second battery there).

In my '89 Westy, I have a hard-drive based MP3 player in my dash (Rio Car), Orion and Infinity speakers in the stock locations, a JL Audio sub, an electronic crossover and two power amps. This system is basically mid-end, with the exception of the indash, which is expensive mainly due to its internal hard drive (worth it to me because I don't need any CD's or tapes). For the fairly low amount of money spent (other than the head unit), even the installer was amazed at how good the Vanagon sounded. Because of its acoustics and placement options, the Vanagon does justify the installation of a decent system, while at the same time allowing very good sound without spending a fortune.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT