Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:55:08 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Latest trip pictures
Comments: cc: ferrets@tfsp.saic.com

I've posted a few pictures from my latest trip across the country. You may view them at

http://homepage.mac.com/kimbrennan/tristar.html

So here's the commentary that goes with them

San Francisco. A picture of the TriStar outside my friends place (just north of Golden Gate park).

Japanese Tea Garden. In Golden Gate Park is a wonderful little Japanese Tea Garden, where I spent a couple of hours on Sunday morning. This is a picture of one of the gates.

Avenue of the Giants. Off US 101 is a stretch of 20 miles of some of the original big trees (Redwoods) that haven't been cut and give you an impression of how majestic the original forests were before they were clear cut.

California Turkey. Along the drive through the Avenue of the Giants, there were 4 turkeys just standing around in the road. Obviously used to getting hand outs from motorists they were completely fearless and wandered right up to the TriStar. This allowed for some really close up shots. This is a Tom (I think they all were) identifiable by the beard on the lower section of this neck.

Multnomah Falls. Now the scene shifts to Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge. This is Multnomah falls (600+ feet tall) where the Columbia River is cutting through the Cascade Range.

Early Camper. As I entered the state of Washington, This early model VW Camper caught my eye. :)

Glacier National Park. I skirted the southern edge of the Park, but even so there were some beautiful shots that insisted I stop, turn around and take (which is why the vehicle is pointed west instead of east.

East Glacier. After traveling across the Continental Divide, it was time to take one last view of the mountains compromising Glacier National Park.

Devil's Tower. Wyoming. You really have to want to go here, cause it isn't near anything else. No large hovering flying saucers were seen.

Wyoming Turkeys. As I was driving back to the Interstate, I encountered a very large flock of turkeys. There were probably 60 or 70 birds. I couldn't get them all in the frame, or even two when zooming all the way out. So I choose this image of just a few where you can clearly see the white tip of their tales (a distinguishing feature between Western and Eastern Turkeys.) Curiously the California turkeys didn't have the white tipped tails. My local WV turkeys are extremely shy about having their pictures taken.