Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:25:23 -0800
From:         Timothy Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Systems: Which One?

The S&S system is louder only if you use the S&S muffler. I ran my S&S header system with the stock muffler and the Dynomax muffler and it wasn't any louder than the stock pipes. I wouldn't recommend the S&S muffler, but the headers, if you get them coated, are a good product.

Make sure you get the metal/fiber sandwich gaskets from your VWFLAPS instead of using cardboard ones that come with the pipes.

I didn't follow the installation instructions when I installed my headers because they didn't come with any. I chose to fit the front pipe first, then the right rear pipe and finally the left rear pipe. The last pipe had to be shortened by almost 1" and re-bent slightly in order to fit properly. There was no way it was going in place by just tightening the bolts on the head even with all the other bolts loose. I didn't re-install the front pipe clamp and the system has performed well for the last year with over 20,000 miles on it. I did have to re-tighten the head flange bolts after the first couple of runs, but haven't had to do it since.

Good luck,

Tim