Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:26:57 -0500
From:         Jay Brown <jayb@COEDSPORTSWEAR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy subwoofers
Comments: To: thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM

Hi Karl,

I wish that there was a simple answer, but there is simply no free lunch when it comes to clear tight bass. I decided to put two 8" Woofers in the front panel of my underbed cabinet (200Hz low-pass) to get some bottom end in my music without all the space commitement of a sub box. It has filled out my sound a lot, but I still don't have the punch I would like. With the rear heater under the seat, you could probably squeeze in a set of 10"s and get lower bass and more power handling, but I already had the 8's kicking around from a previous vehicle, so I took the cheap, easy way out. Another option might be to use a powered sub-tube between your front seats. Something like the Kenwood KSC WA-100 would probably be a good choice, looks like it would mount easily and wouldn't try to roll around like the Bazooka tubes tend to: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=46&sortBy=price& productId=148 You could also design a center console with a pair of downward firing 8" subs , or a dual voice coil sub firing forward into the cab area. I recently built a console with two 6.5" coaxials that has made listening to music in my '85 a much more enjoyable experience (actual full range music in a Vanagon, who knew..). I have been thinking about dropping one of these bad boys in the console as well to get some more low end: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-ipJX3dVA86o/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=675 00&I=206S8L72&o=m&a=0 Bringing the bass up into the cab area with you will allow you to have clear bass at lower power levels and reduced volume. It also has the added benefit of already being out of the way when you are camping. If you would like a few pics of my system, let me know and I will send some out to you asap.

Good luck, Jay Brown '85 Westy '72 Hardtop Westy

<<Anyone successfully hidden one somewhere without compromising cabinet space, or having yet another loose box floating around waiting to fly forward when some errant motorist pulls in your path? I NEED more bass! Ideas?>>