Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:30:37 -0600
From:         Birkenfeld Jeff <BirkenfeldJeff@JOHNDEERE.COM>
Subject:      Re: exhaust quality questions
Comments: cc: "wilden1@JUNO.COM" <wilden1@JUNO.COM>,
          "techtalk@ssheaders.com" <techtalk@ssheaders.com>

/snip but I'm thinking about fixing the leak or begging for a replacement muffler ( hell will freeze over July 18, 2003) /snip Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

Stan, I've been waiting for hell to freeze over for 2 yrs now for the defective S&S system I purchased that wouldn't install no matter what I did. They have given me more excuses in the last 2 yrs. than I gave all my ex-girlfriends combined. I have a folder full of correspondence. Whatever anyone does regarding S&S exhaust systems, NEVER buy directly from S&S, ONLY buy from one of their distributors. That's the BEST way for you to get ANY customer service regarding this product. My experience is in the archive under "Re: S&S Headers oxygen sensor placement? </cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0101B&L=vanagon&D=0&P=36925>" dated 01/09/01. I don't dis the product as much as I dis the company who makes it. I work for John Deere and where I sit, it's hard to put a price on good reputation. We would easily eat a $300 or $3000 part to keep our reputation intact. I'm still waiting for resolution with S&S regarding the RMA and return of parts that they signed for.

JB - paid $300 to S&S for exhaust and muffler (spring of 2000), shipped it back and still don't have a refund.

ps...the S&S system seems somewhat flimsy compared to stock or Stebro. The muffler is louder than stock and the gaskets and hardware supplied with the S&S system are inadequate. I've been told by S&S that replacement pieces are not available, only the entire system is offered so if a piece breaks or rusts, you start all over again.