Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:13:26 -0500
From:         "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need Jumpseat

Allow me to give the pocket-protector, Safety-dork response.

My brother was an EMT for 3 years and fed me this knowledge...Pets involved in vehicular collisions typically die a horrible death. Those in the rear of the vehicle frequently contribute to the injuries of those forward as they become missiles inside the vehicle. You wouldn't drive around with your toddler hopping around inside the vehicle, why do you think your dog would fare any better in a wreck? The protective fur? Hmmm.

There are a limited number of pet containers which are designed to be some-what helpful in an accident, but none (that I know of) have been crash tested with any sort of realistic measuring devices.

Again, I know I'm being a big fat dork, but if you get in a 30 mph wreck with your seatbelt on, chances are you'll walk away. 99.99% chance your unrestrained dog will get to meet Jesus. There's .01% chance he will survive to drain your 401k with vet bills for his remaining years. 30 mph is approximately the speed your dog would be traveling at if you threw him off a five story building, and 35 mph is the median speed of most collisions (combined speed at impact).

Dork glasses off, good luck on that doggie seat.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u +1.919.658.1278 "Fax mentis incendium gloria culpum"