Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:30:22 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Do you use GPS mapping gismo?

TURD now has GPS!!!! but in normal TURD fashion it's not your average system.

The unit I use is a Motorola Oncore GT+ OEM Module. It is not a complete unit by any streatch though. It is teh heart of a custom built GPS system. The unit is tiny (1"X2"X4") but has no screen, antenna, or even power supply. It is the heart of my APRS system onboard. Here are the details:

Motorola Oncore GT+ OEM Module SM-76 High gain active antenna McKinney Technologies Oncore interface (available from www.tapr.org) IBM 730TS armtop pen based PC. with Pentium 233 processor mod UI-VIEW 32 V1.8 mapping, APRS and telemetry software. Yeasu FT-2400 2M Amatuer radio for position broadcast AEA PK-88 TNC for interface from PC to radio Homebrew DCD switch to run GPS and TNC off same comm port Blue plastic box to house everything but PC Still searching for angle mount to place PC on dash. Street Atlas V5 for map generation 1500w inverter to power PC supply plus other AC needs 2) 72 Amp/hour batts for 12v storage Antenna Systems 5/8 over 1/4 colinear antenna on custom roof rack mount

Why all this?

Thanks to the nature of amatuer radio, experimentation is not only common but encouraged. I have a system that lets me see wher the camper is at any time via some interesting internet sites. The plans are to be able to run certain items off the laptop from my home, and be able to check the status and position of the camper from home or from any pc with internet access. It's sort of like a remote security system that allows me to kill the coil remotely. to see if the van is on the road go to www.findu.com and enter N9LCK-14 for the van and N9LCK for my home station. If you have an amatuer license follow the links to allow you to send messages to my home terminal or the camper.

As you can see, I seem to have too much spare time lately :-)

Chris Smith Chief RF Destroyer and ruiner of bandwidth, T.U.R.D.