Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Nov 2002 04:06:10 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stereo Amp

Not sure what the stereo gurtu is geting in a wad about, but here's what I did:

Have not one .but two Rockford Fosgate amps(one under each seat in my 90 GL) throwing a total of 6 channels of 75wRMS to a set of Focals and Nakamichi 6.5" two ways. I previously(before the upgrade, but still have them wired through the chip amp in the Sony head unit) had a set of 4 Boston Acoustics cx4 4.5" biaxial speakers I bought(still available at the dealer I think, but almost always some floating around Ebay for little money). They fit right in the stock locations although I would grind off the stock VW grilles and use them if clearance on the lateral part of the dash is an issue.

The point of all of this is, I have the aforementioned switch to turn on the big amps when needed. Granted, you don't hear the CX 4's when their bigger brothers are lit up, but you can monkey with the volume control settings on the head unit and the gain controls on the big amps so you don't overload the smaller speakers at higher gain settings on the R/F's. What this gives you is the ability to switch off the high priced spread when you don't want the battery drain and the BA speakers draw very little current and sound about as transparent as any 4" you will find. BTW, the head unit is a Sony with about 45watts(not RMS) times 4 channels and has a decent sized heat sink on the back. With the big system on, it really sounds like Diana Krall is in the back seat playing her piano(don't I WISH!!). Hope that helps.

DM&FS