Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:20:34 -0500
From:   Dan Erlandson <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET>
Subject:   Timing

I've looked over the archives, but have to admit that I am confused at times by some of the recommendations regarding timing for a 91 Vanagon Gl with a Digifant system. Bentley says about 5 BTDC (if I remember correctly). After changing plugs, rotor, oil change, new temp II sensor, cleaning out the ISV, new air filter, air flow boot, Oxygen sensor (I think that's it) I set the timing as per Bentley. I checked the RPMs by the tach, on the dash and it seemed fine (@ 850 RPM), pretty solid too, although the timing mark was jumping around a bit. So my question is... what is the experience of the group for the timing on the Digifant ?? should I advance it and then reset the idle? I haven't messed with the idle adjustment... yet. Seems to run fine, although on the cold mornings that we have had recently the initial start up has seemed a bit rough (erratic idle at first, give it some gas and it does fine). and that seems to clear up as the engine gets warm. I haven't yet verifies that my throttle valve switch is working correctly... I'll break out my multimeter later tonight. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

-- -- Dan Erlandson 99 Passat 91 Vanagon GL Flemington, NJ > danoer1@eclipse.net