Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2002 07:13:16 -0500
From:         Isaac Taylor <itaylor@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Winters in the van...
Comments: cc: "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

Hey that stovetop heater exhaust idea has potential.

You can solve the exhaust problem by installing your draw fan as the exhaust outlet, flush mounted in an unobtrusive location. Some computer microfan would work -- most run ion 12v DC off the internal power supply, and would have the advantage of being really quiet (especially given it'd be on the other side of the interior padding). There'd be some drafting issues while under way, and you'd want to allow for any water that gets in the out door to have a place to go. But those are easily solved problems.

I think the tricky part would be installing the stovetop chimney/exhaust-ducting permanently & unobtrusively, and yet having it be somewhere useful -- because if it's running along up in the corner, it'd just heat the roof and windows, and probably not do much for folks in bed. Also, you'd want whatever apparatus connects the stove-top can chamber to the permanent ducting run to be easily removable & stowable, which could be tricky, and adds clutter.

The more I think about it, I think there is a more elegant solution -- and less obtrusive result -- if the stove and New Fancy Heater System are decoupled.

Why not just build the guts of a electric space heater directly into a custom coffee can concept, *but* mount the thing in the engine bay? Advantage: doubles as overnight block heater, which can be really nice is seriously cold places. Then duct your heating conduit up, under, around and/or next to the bed -- maybe even out into the floor of the cabin? As long as there's a fan sucking on the end of the exhaust, it'll draw heat through a surprisingly long and/or circuitous duct, and with strategic use of insulation you could deliver the heat to where it's most useful. In this plan, construction and installation are if anything *less* involved than in your stovetop concept, and the final product would be all but invisible if done properly. Most importantly: you'd get radiant heat rising up, through inhabited space.

Disadvantages are increased weight, further cluttering the engine bay, introduction of potential fire hazard, and basic inverse relationship between complexity and reliability in any electric system.

But surely I'm trying to reinvent the wheel here? Somebody's done this before, yes?

Isaac Taylor Cambridge, Mass.