Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2002 08:21:17 -0500
From:         Isaac Taylor <itaylor@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Wanted: Free Vanagon to Love & Cherish

Hi folks. Mr. Pie in the Sky from Cambridge, Massachusetts here.

I'm looking for some seriously cheap -- free, even -- van or vans to love & nuture. If you've got a beater westy, weekender, whatever... taking up space in your yard, and would derive some measure of satisfaction from seeing it off to a good home, where it'll be an important part of an interesting project, let's talk! Even rusty vans are welcome; I'll restore them to health and happiness! I know, I know, I'm crazy; but like the man says: let he who is without sin cast the first stone. If you're on this list, you've surely been bitten by some similar crazybug at some point.

So who is this whacko, you're wondering? I'm a 29 y/o broke-ass Harvard grad, life-long VW nut raised off the grid by hippies in rural Massachusetts. I'm a former employee of both NPR's Car Talk (fantastic), the Boston VW dealership (abominable), and a variety of defunct dot-coms (insolvent, clearly). I'm currently working a freelance journalist, and am about to start full-time on a multimedia video/web project based around a series of interviews with recent immigrants to America from Afghanistan, Chechnya, Bosnia, the Levant, et cetera. A variety of publishers, periodicals, and online media outlets have expressed interest in this, and other projects of mine. However, each requires extended (read: budget) interstate travel, location interviews & video shoots. So, in the continued absence of large cash advances from publishing companies, I'm planning on building myself a reliable mobile home office (I've got a donated pc-based digital video editing system lined up!) and getting out on the road next spring.

Ok so know you *know* I'm crazy. But I'm also not kidding here, and I'm a really nice guy -- no really -- and I'm serious and dedicated to this project. Most importantly, and here's where YOU come in: I ain't to proud to beg. While there's probably a hundred things I need more than a basketcase van and a winter's worth of skinned knuckles, I think that my dream come true is rusting away out in your backyard.

I have literally been falling asleep to dreams of purring Vanagons with mobile internet access for three months straight now. I won't say I'm sculpting Westies out of mashed potatoes just yet, but it's close -- my buddies are getting worried because I'll hop up at 4am and furiously draft plans for new folding utility rack cum tent frame appliances, and my girlfriend says I'm talking in my sleep about complete WRX drivetrain conversions. (Now *that* is a pie in the sky idea.) Clearly I either need an intervention, or a donation.

If you're within 1,000 miles of Boston, and want to both make me profoundly happy, and see an your underutilized van go to a great new home where it will be a central part of an interesting project, please drop me am e-mail. I have a bet going with a cynical lawyer friend who says this is never going to work, that nobody would ever donate any vehicle of value to someone whom they don't know. I reckon I'm going to win this bet... because I know there are Good Cambridge People -- Good VW People -- all over the country, and some of them are reading this right now.

Thanks for reading this far. Now: can you help?

Best, Isaac Taylor Cambridge, Massachusetts itaylor@attbi.com