Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:38:58 -0000
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: VOLKSWAGON vs ROLLS
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

The Hon. Winston Ponsonby-Smythe and his wife is touring the Transvaal, having made an epic overland journey in his grossly overloaded Rolls Royce Silver Cloud. He becomes stranded when the drive to the rear wheels fails, and suspecting a rather major mechanical problem, takes up residence in the nearest (and grandest) hotel and contacts Rolls Royce back in Blighty. A week or so later, two RR mechanics arrive, complete with enormous wooden crate and proceed to remove the car's rear axle, replacing it with contents of large crate. After a quick 'ceremonial' handover of the repaired vehicle, they salute smartly and depart for the dockside with enormous crate now containing old axle. For the next six months, the Hon. Winston tools around South Afreeka and after another epic overland eventually arrives back at his 'grand pile' in the heart of England. A few months go by and wondering why he hasn't been presented with a Rolls Royce service bill of a magnitude to make even his eyes water, puts pen to paper. Several weeks pass before one morning a letter arrives with the famous RR logo embossed on it's rich velour envelope.

Dear Mr. Ponsonby-Smythe,

Regarding your letter of the 6th inst., enquiring after the service repair and replacement of a rear axle to your valued Silver Cloud. Unfortunately we can find nothing relating to this matter in our service files and indeed would like to assure you that Rolls Royce rear axles do not break - under any circumstances!

Thanking you for your enquiry,

Mr. H. Bligsthroat (International Service Manager)

Rolls Royce.

Mmmm. Wonder what Volksagen's response would be under similar circumstances - Dear Sir,

Whilst VW transaxles are designed and built to the highest standards and perfectly suitable for the vehicle they are fitted to, it is not wise to change into third gear more than 19,324 times during the life of the vehicle, particularly as you should by now have noticed that they have a habit of losing oil once out of warranty - albeit slowly. Consequently we require a deposit of DM56000 before embarking on such an adventure.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Grebneff" <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 9:28 AM Subject: Fwd: VOLKSWAGON vs ROLLS