Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:35:15 -0800
From:         Jere Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: rear heater

Hi all,

I just did it three weeks ago on a friends 89 Wolfy. The quickest way is to bite the bullet and with a large Philips remove the rear seat back (4 screws) and then with a 13mm remove the seat part of the bench seat (4 ?12?mm bolts) and then the 4 17mm bolts that hold the bench seat frame in. (I recommend this way because last time I did it I just took out the whole seat in one unit... And during reinstallation, because the seat weighted so much, I cross threaded one of the bolts that hold the frame and a seatbelt, big pita. I took a week just to get the tap (11.25 x.1.5; $30.00; I cold have had it that day for $90.00). With the seat out it is very easy to remove the box (6 #2 Phillips and out she comes. Whole job took 45 minutes. Oops... You will also have to remove the kick plate from the frame (4 #2 Phillips). With the seat out you also have better access in cleaning the area of the leak and under the seat.

Life is easier when you take the seat out!

Jere 90 GL/"Caraversion" 88 GL