Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Nov 2002 09:44:30 -0800
From:         Timothy Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: DIY $20 digital oil temp gauge

You would need some kind of electronic device/software pakage to convert the digital or analog sender signals to a graphical presentation, then into a composite video signal. You could send that real-time video signal to a dash mounted LCD monitor or heads-up windshield video projector.

Sounds like a future project, probably using a laptop with some type of engine monitoring software and outputing it via composite video to an LCD monitor. It would be nice to utilize a WinAmp type skin as the base for the graphics.

The aircraft community uses a self-contained unit like this: (http://users.mweb.co.za/r/ra/rainier/ems.htm)

Anythings possible, you are only limited by your imagination and your pocketbook.

I am still looking for a GPS with a composite video output, but it looks like interfacing with a laptop is the only solution right now.

Tim

--- John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET> wrote: > This has prompted the recall of a car that my > brother-in-law had that > had a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube - ie, TV tube) in the > dash that was > connected to an on-board computer that gave all > kinds of readouts > directly on screen while driving. I thought this to > be very cool. Don't > remember what kind of vehicle but a Detroit built > American automobile. > With the advances made in electronics, the use of > LEDs or silver crystal > readouts, etc, would seem possible to create a > similar system that could > pick off signals from various points on the Vanagon > and give readouts on > a single screen mounted somewhere on the dash of > our beloved Vans. > > Just wondering if any of our List Members with > electronics knowledge > would have some ideas of how this can be done, or > could do such a thing, > sort of like Darrels Digifant Digitool, but a bit > more sophisticated. > > Just Sunday Morning mental meanderings. > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver >