Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:33:51 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM>
Subject:      Timing adjustment procedure on Digifant system
Comments: To: danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET

Hi Dan,

I've long suspected that many waterboxer "low power" complaints have iginition timing that is in tolerance but less than optimum value. Below is a procedure to set an optimum timing value. If you can, search the archives under my name, available through Vanagon.com's website, I've posted many articles on tuning the waterboxer's fuel injection system as well. You must verify that correct timing and fuel pressure are present since these two things are assumed by the computer when setting it's basic fuel injector pulse length.

Your right the Bentley timing procedure on page 28.42 is confusing. Heres how I've translated their instructions. The basic idea is to start a warm motor, raise the rpm to 2400 RPM, see note 1; then remove the wiring harness connector from the Temp II sensor (see note below); then hold the timing light and check or adjust timing until the V-notch is lined up with the crankcase seam which is 5 degrees BTDC + or 1 degree. The half moon shape is TDC.

Next Bently's advice seems to say that with a properly set timing, the max advance is 40 degees when the engine is operating above 3000 RPM. There math is:

Final timing in degrees before TDC @ 3000 Rpm( full advance) minus the idle timing should equal 35 degrees + or - 5 degrees. If the final advance was 40 degrees then subtract the idle timing of 5 degrees = 35 degrees of ADVANCE by the distrubtor is being added. Pretty confusing.

My translation below:

So in theory the possible tolerance range of max timing advance would be: -34 to - 46 degrees. I made a guage with three marks at 0 degrees, -5 degrees and -46 degrees. While holding the guage's -5 and 0 degree marks over the crankshaft pulley marks I marked and then notched the crankshaft pulley at - 46 degrees before TDC.

To check for optimum timing re-connect the Temp II sensor; operate the engine at 3000 Rpm; use the timing light to verify what maximum advance is being achieved by comparing the -46 degree notch with the crankcase split mark. I prefer to run as close to this as possible to wring every possible horse from the motor.

Note1-- I put a nickle or a quarter coin between the idle stop and the throttle valve to hold the rpm above 2000 Rpm.

Note 2 --I found it best to disconnect the harness connector first without the engine running, as it takes some dexiterity to press the wire bale and then wiggle the thing off. Onec you've done that push the connector back on, but don't fully seat it. The start the motor for the timing test, and you'll be able to remove the connector with ease.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat