Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:35:47 -0700
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Winters in the van
Comments: To: Eric Spletzer <eric@seniornet.org>

Winter camping is my absolute favorite thing about the vanagon. I love the outdoors in winter and camp around 30 days each winter in my van. I use a plat cat heater which i like but could use more btu's for those really cold nights. You can do it without a heater but you'll end up camping out much more if you have a heater. Unfortunately a safe heater is not cheap. Here is a list of options for vanagon heaters I have compiled. Feel free to ask me additional questions. If i could do it again I would install a Suburban heater. Ive only seen one installed in a vanagon. You could probably get one off a wrecked rv really cheap

heater: cost: advantage: disadvantage ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- platcat $450 safe, efficent only 5200 btu low propane/elec insullation needed draw

gasoline $500used convienent, uses price, hard to $1200plus new gastank for fuel find parts, elec draw requires second bat

carverp4 $500 NOS just the right not made anymore, size for vanagon hard to find.

Suburban/ $500-$700new parts/service avail elect draw reqires modern RV plenty of btu's second battery. Forced air some model take up propane lots of space.