Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:24:59 -0800
From:         "Phil S." <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Ultimate F+R Sway-Bar Test in 40MPH crosswinds

Sunday I got a rare opportunity to test my westy's front and rear PST brand sway bars on the dreaded I-4 Highway that rips through Orlando Florida. A big cold front just passed thru having dumped tons of rain the day before, the winds on Sunday turned NNW/NW 30MPh with gusts to 40MPh plus. I-4 goes east or west, I was heading westbound so the winds were hitting my passenger side front end at a 45 degree angle with some gusts directly at my passenger side. Before the trip i inflated my Yokohamas to 65PSI(these Yoko's are rated at 65PSI) THey are load range D and are hard as rocks when inflated to the max. Right away when i got on the highway BOTH my brand new rear view mirrors decided to give it up....and i had just tightened them as well as dremeling out grooves into the ball joints so they would stay put. Luckily i had one of those magnifier lenses for RV's in my hatch back window, so i could still change lanes(i drive w/all my curtains shut) These OEM mirrors arent worth a dam in my bold oppinion and i am already switching to the power mirror set-up. OK so the 4 hour trip i drove 75-85MPH with white knuckles on the steering wheel. I still had to stay alert becouse the gusts would make my van want to steer to the left in an instant. Overall these sway bars performed very well, the body hardly ever wobbled or rocked after a gust and the sway bars just transfered the energy to my tires and steering wheel. Im sure having 65PSI Load range-D tires helped alot too, although the ride was harsh at time(feel every crack in the road) I still want to experiment more with the suspension, so i want to try rear Air-Bags next.

Phil S. 84' Westy W/Tiico