Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:48:54 -0700
From:         Simon Reinhardt <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>
Subject:      Used Dunlop Tire Review

For the archives... I just acquired a set of Carat 14" alloy wheels with slightly used Dunlop Radial Rover RV's on them. The tires still have at least 75% of their original tread. (15/32" when new.) Previously, my syncro Westy had BFG A/T's up front with almost no usable tread left, and Winston "Winner A/T's" on the back, with about 1/4" of usable tread. All tires mentioned are 27x8.50, old ones were on factory steel rims. Don't yell at me about the tire discrepancies. My V/C is old and dead already, in the less common doesn't-do-anything way. All tire pressures are 40/48 psi F/R.

Cornering seems more stable. Dirt traction is much improved; I'm sure this is due to the more aggressive tread pattern. Hitting bumps, potholes, etc., seems somewhat less harsh, but no huge difference. Road noise is much louder, even though the BFG's are supposed to be very loud when worn. The difference is, the noise from the Dunlops is twofold: First, there is more vibration, but very low frequency and not too loud, and not unpleasant. Second, there is much, much more "highway hum", audible at speeds over 45mph, but you don't hear it at all with the windows up. Handling seems a little less precise, and a bit more twitchy. I find myself making more tiny course corrections than before. It's not annoying, but it is noticeable. Overall, I like these a lot, and it's good to have some tread for the Winter. But when they wear out, I'm likely going to get another set of BFG's.