Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:49:26 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Electrical Consumption &  Battery Recharge Calculations
Comments: To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com, "wetwesties@yahoogroups."
          <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          Syncro@yahoogroups.com, ev_update@yahoogroups.com

Electrical Consumption & Battery Recharge Calculations.

Based on all the input I got from List Members and helpful Product reps at Optima, Crutchfield, Arizona Solar and Uni-Solar ....

This is an overly simplistic, but I hope useful summary.

Please challenge and suggest areas where my calculations may be off.

My Usage Assumption One:

Power Consumption ... (running off batteries only)

Per night = 20 amp hours * 12V = 240 watts per night total

Details,

18 LED Strip Light = .180 amps per hr * 3 hrs = .72 amps 18 LED Reading Light = .180 amps per hr * 3 hrs = .72 amps LCD TV = 3amps per hr * 4 hrs = 12amps Sat Receiver = 1amp per hr * 4 hrs = 4 amps Misc Ghost Usage = .500 amp per hr * 4 hrs = 2 amps

Total per night = 19.44 amps or 233.28 watts

Recharging:

Solar Panels ... Two Uni-Solar 32 Watt Flexible Panels @ 64 watts * 4 hrs per day = 256 watts

http://www.solar-electric.com/usf-32.html

Solar Charge Regulator & Controller: ....to be determined

Battery:

OPTIMA D750 Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery = 2 (one is the starter battery)

Reserve Capacity - Minutes: 124 Capacity (C/2 rate) - Amp Hours: 52 Capacity (C20 rate) - Amp Hours: 65

Total Amp Hours with 2 batteries = 104 Needed Amp Hours = 20 Extra Capacity = 84

Battery Charger: (to be used when 110V is available)

Deltran Battery Tender Charger designed for Optima Batteries

110 VAC Optima/Hawker / 12V 6amp

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/deltran/onboard_charger.htm

Notes:

1. Second Optima is starter Battery ... also backed up by a Jump Starter PowerPac

http://www.batterytender.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=36

3. Largest Uni-Solar Flexible Panels available are 32 watts output.

4. Usage estimates are based on my own needs calculations on actual products I plan to use.

My Usage Assumption Two:

Running the Vehicle Stereo instead of the LCD TV & Sat Receiver (not included in the above assumptions).

Average Power Consumptions for a Vehicle Stereo System (actual system not purchased yet)

CD/Receiver = 6-10 amps per hr Satellite Radio Receiver = .500 amp per hr Amplifier = 10-20 amps per hr

The mean average is approx 23 amps per hr.

The nightly usage would be 23amps - 4 amps (LCD TV & Sat Rec)) = 19 amps per hr additional

The extra battery capacity of 84 Amp Hrs would enable the stereo to be played for approx 3.65 hrs.

But the problem is recharging the batteries.

You would need to recharge 104 amp hrs / 1240 watts instead of 20 amp hrs / 240 watts

The current Solar assumptions will get you 20 amp hr / 240 watts, leaving a delta of 84 amps / 1000 watts

If I assume a 75% efficiency on the VW 90 amp alternator then I would need to run the engine approx 1 1/4 hrs to supplement the Solar.

Disclaimer .... none of this assumes three staging Charge rates/times required by Deep cell batteries. But have built in a large "Fudge Factor" in excess of 15% to compensate for this.

In conclusion.

Solar will recharge "Usage Assumption One UNASSISTED.

Solar plus 1 1/4 hrs of the VW Alternator will recharge "Usage Assumption Two".

The actual system will also be supplemented by a small 1000kw Honda Gas Generator.

But that's a whole other discussion.

Comments Requested

Hitting the Trail Soon,

Larry Chase

Email: lchase@attglobal.net Web: www.roadhaus.com - Under Construction What: The Great North American Road Trip When: 01.02.03 How: RoadHaus - 1990 2.2 L VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Mesa, AZ - 12V Stuff From: Mesa, AZ