Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:53:35 -0800
From:         Tom <tomsalicos@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: syncro ujoint replacement.
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

That sounds like a good price. I have been dreading the $750 number I have heard about for the job. Would that price include the high quality parts and racing shop-balanced, as you suggested in your posting? For this price I'd do it as PM.

Tom Salicos '87 Westy Syncro

----- Original Message ----- From: Kenneth Wilford To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 6:27 AM Subject: Re: syncro ujoint replacement.

The problem you have with doing this is that from the VW dealer none of the service parts for the syncro driveshaft are available. They do not sell u-joints, nor do they sell the rubber flex disc that you need to rebuild the shaft. They want you to bring in your shaft and replace it as a unit. That is all they have part numbers for, a new shaft or a rebuilt shaft.

I sell new u-joints for the syncro for $99 each (German) and new rubber flexdisc for $40 (German). These are made by OE manufacturers for VW and BMW so the quality is high. One things I recommend after you rebuild your shaft is to take it to a racing shop and have the driveshaft balanced. If you do this you should be no problem doing your own shaft. We are also toying with the idea of rebuilding shafts here at Van-Again. We are thinking about selling them for $350 rebuilt/exchange needed (we would need your old shaft as a core. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242