Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:24:45 -0800
From:         Peter Lofting <lofting@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon gas tank leaks - vapor lock floods engine bay
Comments: To: Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>

Great advice. Thanks very much.

Peter.

At 3:44 PM -0500 11/20/02, Jay L Snyder wrote: >The fuel pressure regulator crapped up on my '86 and the pressure went up >high enough to blow off the fuel hose above the starter (where it goes from >plastic to rubber). I was lucky--no fire--but it could have been bad. >First thing I replaced on my '85 Westy when I got it was the fuel pressure >regulator. Since then, all new fuel lines and filters. Not a bad idea to >check your fuel pressure from time to time. > > Jay > > > > >gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 11/20/2002 03:26:32 PM > >Please respond to gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM> > >Sent by: Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> > > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >cc: >Subject: Vanagon gas tank leaks - vapor lock floods engine bay > > >Peter, > correct me if I am wrong but I think that this is >a classic case of some hose leaking in the back. I >do not think it is possible for a vanagon to have >vapor lock with fuel injection. More than likely the >mtbe has had its way on the rubber hoses. Any >leakage is do to fuel pressure from the pump which is >maintained after the van is shut off unless you have a >hose leak. Peter keep that noose of your up and >smell the fuool in the air. It is truely a sad loss >to miss this smell. gary >Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:11:55 -0800 >From: Peter Lofting <lofting@APPLE.COM> >Subject: Vanagon gas tank leaks - vapor lock floods >engine bay > >Talking of gas leaks, there is another problem with >Vanagon's which >is that a vapour lock can form which forces fuel out >of the tanks >into the engine bay. > >This happened to friends who were camping out in the >mountains at >5000 feet for a couple of days. When they re-started >the van to drive >home they suffered a 3 minute engine fire that trashed >the wiring >harness and plastic fitting - see photos at >http://17.254.3.162/images/TomJoanVW/index.html > >I've not worked out where the vapour lock occured yet, >but its >something else to watch out for if you go up in the >mountains or park >in the hot sun for a long period of time. Probably >best to check the >engine bay before starting off. > >Has anyone else had this experience? > >Peter >(1984 Vanagon Westy) > > >__________________________________________________ >Do you Yahoo!? >Yahoo! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your site >http://webhosting.yahoo.com > > > > > >This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains >information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under >applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby >formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, >in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender >by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless >explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", >this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, >or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute >a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing >purposes or for transfers of data to third parties. > > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean > > http://www.DuPont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html