Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:31:28 -0800
From:         prb <prb@TELEVAR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Well blow me down!

> From: Jessica Evans <jessica@LUNULA.COM> > Congratulate me...I am the proud new owner of my first VW.

Congratulations! :-)

> I got the van for $2,700. Can you tell I am happy?

I'm glad you are happy. I got my 85 GL for $2,500. It had many of the same things re-done that you described (though mine has more miles on it). In my opinion you did not get screwed or anything; AND these waterboxer VWs do take maintenance, and even with what you described, it would not be odd to be spending another 300 here and 500 there in the next couple years (especially if you do not do your own labor.) But to me that's better than a new van with a big monthly loan payment.

>So, I guess my question is, should I be watching for anything in > particular? Or should I just relax and enjoy the drive?

Both! :-) No reason not to enjoy and relax WHILE looking for a few things. I've had my 85 for a year and a half, and I found this list last spring. I have been scanning through these posts even when nothing is wrong because it's a great way to get an idea of what can happen and what to do about it/look for. So I recommend you scroll through the email titles frequently...not like you have to read every email every day. Someone already mentioned keeping an eye on hoses. A couple other thoughts:

--check the CV boots. Mine were shot when I got it and dirt had gotten in and ruined the joints. 13 months later I was under the van looking at something else and noticed I had a ripped boot-- replaced it before it could do more damage, but it reminded me that visual inspections are important. It also reminded me that I had read on this list that some people preferred this brand of CV boot over that and a couple people complaining that their boots were crapping out after only a year or two...so that makes me want to peek in on them whenever I have the oil changed (twice a year for me)

--COOLANT! You say yours is about to be serviced because of some leaks. This is a good time to make sure you are using COMPLETELY PHOSPHATE FREE coolant that should be blue-ish in color. If you have yellowy or greeny stuff you have the wrong coolant. This is a subject covered at GREAT length in the archives here, so I won't say more on that-- just a heads up for you (and if you need help accessing the archives, just ask.)

-- and now ..."Vanagon Syndrome/Intermittant Syndrome". You mentioned you were getting some fuel injection work done because of hesitation. That sent up a red flag for me. Hopefully it is just as diagnosed and will be fixed as planned. But it could be one of several things that can be harder to pinpoint. I have a hesitation on acceleration that sounds like what someone else was recently describing and trying to diagnose. I've read people saying that they had to replace their wiring harness to get rid of it, and others say an ECU was the problem and others cleaned up fule filters and others had bad grounds.

Specifics of how and when you are stalling or hesitating (after you are warmed up? until you are warmed up? doesn't matter? when stepping on gas only? during idle? at different speeds or only in a certain speed/rpm range? -- and a bunch of other things that I don't understand enough or remember) could get others on the list with more knowledge to suggest another diagnostic.

Like I said, I hope it's something simple that's already been diagnosed. But if it isn't there are people around here that have been through it, so come back for support.

Well, go pat Wolfy and get ready for a drive.

--Patrice 85GL "VanaBlue"