Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:05:18 -0500
From:         Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Front Heater Core Retrofit (Save money!)

Calling all inventors at heart!

I couldn't figure what else to call this to get people's attention.

I am attempting to find a readilly available heater core to replace the existing Vanagon front heater core. The lowest price I can find for a new front heater core is $200. The average heater core costs about $50.

Only one other person in the archives has mentioned replacing the heater core with one from another vehicle. They threw out dimensions of the existing Vanagon heater core and here they are 1-5/8" X 6-3/8" x 17-1/4". The connections are side by side in the upper right corner as mounted. They are about 1-1/4" center-to-center, 1-1/8" long, 1/2" ID, 5/8" od with a single barb 3/4" on the OD.

I went to Napa Auto Parts and found that the 81-87 Quattro 4000 Audi and a 85-87 Golf and a 85-87 Jetta all could fit in the gap left by the old Vanagon core. However they are only fill a portion of the area the old core filled. They are about 9" long instead of 17-1/4" and the connections are in a little different location. This means we would have to block off a part of the original opening so air wouldn't pass by.

Here is my question: Has anyone found a cheap heater core that can fit in the Vanagon? This is a call to all the inventers who are feed up with the outragous prices we have to pay for Volkswagen only part. Enough is enough. (Rant & Rave) Let's beat the system.

Here is my major concern in doing all of this: -I want the heater core to bleed itself when the van is put in it's normal incline bleading position.

Don't be shy I want a long, well documented thread on this. There aren't any bad ideas. LET BRAINSTORM!

-Blake Heinlein http://members.accessbee.com/heinlein ------------------------- Blake Heinlein blakeheinlein@hotmail.com -------------------------