Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:41:40 -0800
From:         Timothy Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Entertainment System upgrade
Comments: cc: Wolfsburg Campers <wolfsburg_campers@yahoogroups.com>

I received some new components and am in the process of installing them. They include another 5.6" lcd, a color camera and a wireless headphone set-up.

First, a big thank you to Larry Chase for the LCD and camera.

The LCD is mounted where my rearview mirror used to be, in fact it uses the stock arm that the mirror was mounted to. A link to picture of it and the mount I made for it is here: (http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/photos/New_Pyle_LCD-2.jpg). The power supply for my Clarion LCD has an additional video output so installation is pretty simple (except for hiding all the wiring).

I'm gluing a magnet to the base/mount of color camera so it can be moved and re-aimed as needed. For now, it will go inside of the rear shelf looking out the back window. I'll use it for a quick check behind the vehicle before I back up, its simply of changing the TV tuner to the proper input channel from the headend unit.

I picked up a set of Clarion 2-channel wireless headphones of of ebaY for the rear seat passengers. The transmitter mounts to the left rear corner of the A/C duct housing. There is a small removable panel on my housing to fill the gap made when the smaller rear cabinet is installed with the GL camper A/C duct/vent unit. This works out well, since my VCR is located on the top shelf of the rear cabinet and the power and signal cables just have to slip over the top of the cabinet. I did have to drill a 1" hole in the inside top of the cabinet to get the cables inside.

I also had to get set of RCA M/M/F "T" cables so the audio signal from the VHS/DVD/PS-2 would go to both the headphone transmitter and the TV tuner. Since my headend unit can switch the audio signal independently of the video source, the rear seat passengers will be able to watch the program video and listen to the program audio in the headphones while the rest of the passengers can listen to the radio, CD player or CD changer, kind of a "poor mans" A/V zoning setup.

I need to install an additional RCA video cable to support the camera as well as reconfigure the system power. Combine that with installing the wiring for the front monitor and it means that the left upper bunk support cover and the front headliner need to come out.

Currently all the electronics in the rear cabinet are connected to the A/C power fuse. I set up a power buss connector inside the rear cabinet so items can be added individually. I also made another power buss for the equipment mounted behind the drivers seat. I'll be running a 12-Ga wire from the auxiliary battery compartment to each power buss. It won't be connected directly to the auxiliary battery, but will run through a relay controlled by the amplifier control signal from the headend unit. That way I can shut off the entire system by just shutting off the headend unit.

The headend unit itself will stay connected to the main battery. I had it wired to the aux, but if you have to remove or disconnect the aux battery for any reason, you can't listen to the radio.

One last item will be a noise filter. It will be installed on cable that connects the auxiliary battery to the main battery when the engine is running to cover the small amount of alternator noise I can currently hear.

Thanks for listening if you made it this far. I will try to post some pictures, but most of this will be invisible once it is installed.

Thanks,