Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:38:32 -0700
From:         "keather6@cox.net" <keather6@COX.NET>
Subject:      FS: 82 Diesel ASI Camper - dead engine

Folks, I've admitted defeat, and recognized that as a poor and busy 2nd year medical student, I have neither the time nor the money to do anything with my van.

In brief: 1982 Vanagon, diesel, dead engine. ASI converted to weekender model, home configured to full camper. Ice box, poptop, sink. about 166K miles. Rust free and straight body, decent shape mechanically, except for the obvious lack of locomotion. Make an offer. Read on for more blather:

Description: 82 diesel Vanagon. 16X,XXX miles. Imported as a passenger van, then converted by ASI to a weekender model. Originally outfited with poptop (the one that goes straight up) table, sink, icebox, cupboards, and a full size fold down z-bed. I'm the second owner (via a dealer trade-in). I cut 1/3 off the bed, built in a driver side cupboard ala Westy, and put an electric pump on the water tank. Van has original bill of sale from 1982, owners manual, etc.

The Good: Clean straight body, no accidents. Its been an Oregon/Utah/Arizona van, so very little rust. When I bought it 5 years ago, there was a little seam rust that I sanded and primed, but then realized that living in the desert southwest, the rust would never progress, so left it alone. Paint is oxidized in places, a little primer here and there, and the usual assortment of scratches and dings you'd expect from a 20 year camper van. Could use a wax and polish, if not a new paint job. Glass is all perfect, windshield new 18 months ago. Reasonable tint-job on windows. Van has been parked under a car cover for last 6 months.

Clutch, Battery, front brake pads, exhaust system, radiator flush, fuel tank steam clean, and a few other things performed/replaced 10,000 miles ago, along with a rebuilt engine. Tires in decent shape, maybe 50%. Adequate spare. Installed Gabriel adjustable gas shocks a few years ago.

Interior worn but clean. No rips or tears in any upholstery. Front seats are from a 85-86 GL. Sink equipped with an electric pump, ice box works well with no leaks. Poptop functional, but some tears in the netting. Rear bug screen for the back hatch.

The Bad: I had my engine rebuilt 18 months ago prior to beginning school and moving to AZ in the hopes it would last for 4 years. The rebuild worked great for 10,000 miles or so, then seized catasrophically 6 months ago. Mechanic in Utah was a jerk to begin with (but that's another story), and is not willing to do anything for me down here in Phoenix. So I have no idea what's wrong with it, but it might be worth investigating.

Transmission was starting to "buzz" occasionally while shifting into 2nd gear. If I timed it right, it would shift in fine. If I shifted too fast, it would buzz, then shift in. Never popped out of gear. I know nothing about trannys, so...

Speedo cable was broken for a few weeks, so mileage is not completely accurate. Currently says 166K and change.

Front chrome bumper corroded and cracked, I took it off and threw it away, needs to be replaced. Rear bumper bent up and ugly. I installed some threaded rods and mounted a Hi-Lift jack back there for a trip to Baja once. Great place to mount a full size jack, but looks kinda rough now. No stereo (I'm keeping the CD player) rear hatch struts on the way out, not quite broom handle time, but close.

___ Located in north Phoenix, Arizona. It'll roll just fine. Someone make an offer and make my home-owners association happy.

I'm working on getting pictures. Just wanted to put this out for someone to start thinking about. Of course pmail me for any further info/picture request.

Kevin