Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:39:24 -0000
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW vs Rolls
Comments: To: pensioner <al_knoll@pacbell.net>

Yes, you're right - Sir Alex Moulton - quite rightly, and Sir Alex Issigonis- they saw eye to eye alright.

Yes I think the dry suspension was called Dunlop (Moulton) - BMC wouldn't go with him alone so he had to ally himself with Fort Dunlop for de kudos, and am pretty sure he not only engineered the 'hydrolastic' but also the sequel to it fitted to Allegros and their offspring - 'Hydragas' - crosslinked - that was what was wrong with hydrolastic apart from the weight, a lack of cross linking and also a distinct propensity to 'ride up' under acceleration unless using extended rear bump stops.

...but surely the beauty of the levered struts and profiled dry rubber cones was a masterstroke, the non-linear spring rate proving exactly what was needed in such a light car that could double its weight when loaded. And it was light and cheap.

Did those faux RMC's have the 'real' 'S' engine with 11? stud head, duplex timing gear, torsion damper, steel crank and vacuumless distributor? - and 76 genuine bhp and a safe 7000 rev limit as standard. Twin tanks? Thick drive shafts and Timken taper-roller front hub (150 ft-lb nut)? gumma, gumma, gumma? A 45 DCOE in one for those tends to pick ts air up from inside the cab, and displace the speedo somewhat - not a passenger friendly car.

I liked the twin 1 1/2" SU's, so knew all about brake fluid in those dashpots, blue springs and hand fettled needles - 997 Cooper cams etc. Isn't SU's CD (constant depression) a lovely concept for a carb - never had a blocked jet. Some didn't put any fluid any at all...

Clive

----- Original Message ----- From: "pensioner" <al_knoll@pacbell.net> To: "Clive Smith" <clive.harman-smith@ntlworld.com> Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 9:54 PM Subject: RE: Re: VW vs Rolls