Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:23:11 -0000
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: SMB Hailwood - genius on 2 wheels

You had a chat with THE man himself, now I'm impressed - so did I, briefly in the Isle of Man, 1978? TT, he was 39 or 40 and making a come back after 10 years off and had just won the Senior and had come 2nd in an epic battle with Alex George in the unlimited event, George on an 1100cc and he on a 500. They were exchanging the lead by 2 secs every lap until he was baulked coming out of Parliament Square before going up the mountain on the 6th and last lap by some back markers (37.75 miles behind!), lost about 500 revs he said and never got it back on song all the way up to the Verandah. As always, gracious in defeat, he loved a scrap - streets ahead of 3rd place - none of this hanging off the bike - smooth and VERY fast -you don't make mistakes on the Island and get away with it - having held the lap record at 108.77 for years after the works teams pulled out, this pushed it up to 118 - even he thought it quite unbelievable. Now its what - 120 + mph? - usually a Scot or an Irishman - the road-racing supremos - romantic but very dangerous stuff.

Don't remember him as being 'short', balding yes. He signed that classic picture of himself in '67 on that wonderful 250 Honda six for me, then we watched the Red Arrows display over Douglas. I'd walked up from Douglas to the Bungalow as he was doing his PR for Castrol, meeting the fans.

Saw him race 'that' six in both its 249 and 297 form against Read, the late Bill Ivy, and of course Agostini's 350 MV at Brands Hatch - he won - of course, giving away over 50cc. What a sound indeed, 19,000 rpm? Music compared to those Yammy two-strokes. 72 valve springs with 3 or four broken even before the start! The 125 5 cyl. was neat too - but the 'killer' was the 1967/8 Honda 500 four - no one else could or would ride it - lethal, yet he set that 108.77 in the Island on it - most riders he passed nearly fell off in horror at its antics. Once, after a GP practice, to make a point to the Honda mechanics he asked to take a lookat its rear shock absorbers - in full view of all the teams he walked across the track, ambled down to the nearby lake - and threw them right into the middle. Being Japanese and 'proud' of their engineers they were horrified at the shame as he shouted '...now put some decent bloody shockers on it, else thats that, I'm not riding it again'. Nobby Clarke said he'd seen 115 hp on the brake before the '67 TT, in those days nobody could make a frame to take it, not even Rickmans.

A few years later, driving his daughter to get some fish and chips, a lorry pulled right across a dual carriageway at night, in the rain. She lived, he died - after surviving on the world's most dangerous road-racing circuits for over 20 years, a stupid lorry driver got him. That pudding bowl helmet of his with its distictive pattern should be in the British museum.

and... >Lemme see LFB on RHD, right? Mine strangely enough is more colonial. LFB on LHD as well, surely the loud pedal is always on the right - stabilises the car in so many ways, especially over bumps in the middle of a corner and by squeezing slightly harder> oversteer, release some brake pressure> understeer, and after the apex just lift off the brake and the engine's already at full chat - solves the problem of slow-in, fast out or fast-in, slow out. Also, engine-rock on the mini being a big problem in middle of corner, this solves that too.

Clive

PS. Why don't the Americans ever come and race in the Island, surely its right up their street? Proper racing on real roads! The Manx GP is the training event and after a few years, maybe give the TT a go. A man's race that against all odds has survived the n'er sayers.