Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:51:05 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Colored lights (was: Re: any interest in clear/smoked/all red
              vanagon taillights?)

>I can help here. The text describes the lens/bulb options. It's a >white (weiss) lens with a yellow (gelb) bulb (birne). The rear lens >(ruckleucht) is black (schwarz). > >The thing that strikes me about this site is they're quoting prices in >Deutschmarks (Dm), not Euros, which has been the legal currency in >Germany for close to a year now. I think this is an old, stale, unused, >page left hanging out there in cyberspace limbo. The company and >product may or may not still exist.

Hansen most certainly does. Euro is not THE currency... it is an ALTERNATIVE currency. The German dealers I have dealt with prefer Dm. The Eurodollar is about the same as the Greenback value; the Dm is half of that ie almost exactly the same value as a Kiwibuck, which is very convenient for me.

>You can tint clear-coat by mixing in any color you want. It cuts light >transmission down, making the taillights darker, increasing your chances >of being rear-ended, so you should up the wattage on the taillights, >which may cause heat/melting problems, which.....Are you really sure you >want darkened lenses?

Why not color-match to your vehicle? Hella makes lenses for Golfs etc which match factory paints. Would blue taillights on a blue Caravelle look good? Probably not... I like to SEE the lights, not have blank-looking rear ends on a vehicle. But gray lenses would look good... BUT in daylight inevitably the indicator & brakelights would be virtually invisible unless you put QH bulbs in... and then the lenses would melt at the first traffic light! Hmmm... could put computer fans into the lights to cool them... fans activated by the indicator & brakelight circuits, as the fans are normally 12V. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut