Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:41:31 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: emergency brakes

Hi Brian,

I feel this post was just meant for my experience. I feel that the emergency brake on my van matches yours. It just doesn't quite keep the van from rolling, and my driveway is just 8 degrees. The eight clicks is just a reference point you could have the thing adjusted to be that hard to pull at four or twelve clicks.

A possibility of what's really going on here is the arc of the brake shoes don't "match" the arc of the brake drum. In years past a shop had a service called a "cam grind", where I was from. Basically the shops had a machine that was able to ground the new brake shoes to match the arc of the brake drum, that way every square inch of available brake shoe was contacting the drum. Depending on the luck of the draw the shoes "can" eventually wear to the point where they do in fact contact every square inch possible, but there are some variables.

How durable the lining is, metallics will take longer, softer linings will take less time and in general softer linings provide a better friction coefficinet than metallics, but have less service life. Brake reports are also pretty antedotal, mine included.. I suppose that soft or hard linings is really a local issue of what the parts houses stockd.. Brake linings are offered in such ways at the distrubtor level, but I'm not certain a local part guy is gonna know, but the rep for Rabestos or Girling and etc will.. Also depending on the brake lining manufacturing standard, lining material is cured in a couple of different ways thats also determines the consistency of the mfg's target.

Contrawise, when a brake drum is resurfaced, the diameter is larger and this exacerbates this issue. You could verify this by pulling the brake drums and look at the wear pattern on the shoes, and have the inside diameter of the drums measured and compared to a new demension and the service demenision.

So the fix would be to get new shoes and drums, Bow Wow in Victoria, and this might help and then you may be like me with new brakes drums and shoes and like the guy said, that's all the better they get. Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat. Cowichan Bay, BC