Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:40:43 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: parking fish?
Comments: To: Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>

At 04:51 AM 11/22/2002, Robert Steven Fish wrote: >---snipped--- >Aren't all cars like this? >--- end snipped --- > >It is possible...

I have never met a car with brake-warning light that did not combine the handbrake warning and brake-circuit-failure warning in one light. Doesn't mean they don't exist...but ?'70 Fiat?, '71 Saab, '7? GM wagon, '76, 80, 83, 90, 96 Subaru, '84, 86, 90 Toyota, '8x CaraVan -- all same same. Some of them also had fluid-level warnings; if so they were combined with the other functions in the same lamp.

>I just only drove automatics since I was 16 and we never >used the parking brake... they were just there to get rusty and make a >hassle for you when inspection time came around and the mechanic wanted to >fix it for us.

That's not too wise really -- one good smack and your parking pawl in the transmission breaks and then where are you? I've never read a manual for auto-transmission that didn't clearly say not to rely on the parking pawl...

>Anyway, the point s that many VW drivers do not know this, and it is not >clearly marked or explained on the dash.

'84 Owner's Manual, page 26: "BRAKE WARNING LIGHT. The light comes on while the engine is cranking [without handbrake -- dgb]. It goes off after the engine is started and the parking brake is fully released. This is your assurance that the brake warning light functions properly. If the brake warning light does not light up while cranking the engine or setting the handbrake, there may be a malfunction in the electrical system. In this case, contact your VW dealer. WARNING: IF THE BRAKE WARNING LIGHT LIGHTS UP WHEN YOU APPLY THE BRAKES WHILE DRIVING, ONE OF THE TWO BRAKE CIRCUITS MAY HAVE FAILED. FIRST MAKE SURE THE PARKING BRAKE IS FULLY RELEASED. The brake warning light does not indicate brake fluid level in the reservoir. Check the fluid level between regular maintenance services. For detailed information see BRAKES on page 18."

Do you seriously want them to write that on the dash (Note that they later included a fluid-level warning, which would mean another sentence or two in that paragraph)? Have you ever seen a car with such a warning? Would you buy one if there was (given that writing that on the dash implies writing a whole bunch of other stuff on the dash as well -- would there be room for the instruments?)?

cheers david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"