Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:13:05 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: emergency brake doesn't work well?

What timing! I just had my van in the shop because the brakes seemed to not be working as well. Needed a little fluid is all; it had been some time since I checked it, so not an inordinate amount of leakage. They also said that it looked like the drums had been replaced by the PO; there was almost no wear on them at all. I've had it for 17K miles. Anyway, it was pouring rain when they finished it up and parked it outside on a steep hill at about 10 AM. When I got there at 5:15 to pick it up, I took off the emergency brake, noting that the handle had been pulled higher than I normally pull it, put it in reverse to back down the hill and couldn't go anywhere! After playing with the emergency brake handle and shifting between Drive and Reverse a couple of times, I was able to get the emergency brake to release and the vehicle to move. I drove it up to the shop and told them about the problem. They kept it overnight because the technicians had gone for the day. When I went back the next day, they told me that they had seen the problem before and that it was caused by rust buildup on rainy days. Sounded a little fishy to me, but it was working fine and all they did was drive it a bit and apply the brakes some to clean off the drums. Weird! The upshot of all this, though, is that if I pull up my emergency brake enough to get in the way of swivelling my driver's seat around :^), the brakes hold fine. Don't know how many clicks that is, but I'd say yours are in some need of adjustment. As to the argument that that's as good as they get, that's pure BS! Something's not right.

Good luck, Marc Perdue