Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:46:37 -0600
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WARNING: SOUTH AFRICAN QUAD LIGHT GRILLES INCITE ROAD RAGE...
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

The very first thing I did when I finished installing my SA lights was take the time to aim them (Chris, I'm not suggesting that you didn't, but there are probably folks out there that haven't done so yet). For proper aiming procedures go to:

http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/aim/

These excellent instructions were put together by Daniel Stern Lighting (a great source of info and a wonderful place to buy headlights and bulbs). It took a bit of time to do the aiming, but it was worth it.

The next thing I did was have my friend come over in his average family car. We spent some time driving around the neighborhood - me in my Vanagon, him in his average family car. We drove back and forth past each other, I drove behind him, I sat behind him (as if at a traffic light). All the while I was using various combination of low beams, high beams, and driving lights. We found what was acceptable and what wasn't. On the "Wasn't" side was driving with the driving lights on while behind someone or approaching someone. I think that the problem is that the driving lights are just mounted so high. Not only that, the pattern they put out is very much a spot beam, very concentrated in one area.

I later installed a set of the Projektzwo lower driving lights (mounted at the height of the lower grill). I have found a couple of interesting things. First, the light pattern put out by these lights is completely different from that put out by the SA Grill driving lights. The Projektzwo lights have a VERY wide, flat, straight beam. I also found that because these lights are mounted lower than the SA driving lights it seems to be O.K. to drove in traffic (even around town) with the lower lights on in conjunction with the low beams. So far no one has flashed me for having the lower driving lights on with the low beams (so far). This seems to be a good combination.

I did some interesting things with the switches for turning the lights on and off. My primary driving light switch (purchased from The Bus Depot) is mounts in the dash and looks like all the other VW switches (well, because it is VW). It has 3 positions: off/lower light on/lower light on and upper light on. Lower in the dash I installed an on/off toggle switch that can turn only the Projektzwo lights off and keep the SA driving lights on (I haven't quite figured out why I would want this combination, but putting in the switch was very easy). Finally, I put in one other toggle switch. Rather than being an on/off switch, this one is and a/b switch. In position "a" it allows the driving lights to be turned on (either singly or together) any time the parking lights are on. In position "b" it allows the lights (either singly or together) to be on only when the high beams are on.

For must normal driving the H4 lights are great. They have a good beam pattern. The Projektzwo lights, I think, will add a lot to safety. I will be able to see all sorts of potential hazards (deer, loose animals, small children, cars, etc.) approaching from the side of the road (the beam pattern is that wide).

Here is how I will be using the lights. Around town I will most likely drive with the low beams and the Projektzwo lights on. I will likely do the same on the highway. When I am driving in the country I will have it set up so that I can turn both sets of driving light on and off with the high beams. I have tried all of these procedures and the results have been great. So far I haven't seen any signs of pissed-off drivers.

As much as I love the looks of the SA lights, if I had to make a choice of only one set of extra lights (SA or Projektzwo) the lower Projektzwo lights would win easily. They produce a very wide beam pattern that can be used almost all the time. I feel that the added measure of safety from the wide pattern is worth it.

Bruce

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail