Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:20:52 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM>
Subject:      emergency brakes
Comments: To: drillock@EARTHLINK.NET

Mark,

Normally, Rear brakes are self-adjusting. The Bently does not say they are or are not. Bentley's service interval section in the back of the book mentions checking brake fluid level and checking brake material thickness, it does not say to adjust rear brakes but so I assume they are self-adjusting, even though this little trick on happens when the vehicle is moving backwards before the brakes are applied, to generate the force so that opposite rotation applied to brake shoes mechanical adjusting arm moves the adjuster star wheel which moves it one click per iteration.. Because of this, I've seen cars that people just don't back up enough to keep the rear brakes properly adjusted. So under some operations the rear brakes may indeed need a manual adjustment from time to time. And it seems that they require manual adjustment when I put new shoes on. So brakes will self adjust and should not ordinarly pose an issue of the emergency brake arm contacting another metal object and limiting the amount of emergency braking effort applied through the handbrake.

So, I'll take a look at my rear brakes again, they were adjusted manually, but there may be a issue of mechanical interferance, I certainly can see why from the post, and were talking about several hundred different vans, but I wasn't aware that mechanics or home mechanics would regularly adjust the parking brake on vehicles with self adjusting brakes and inadvertly be exceeding the range of free movenent of the emergency brake arm whithn the drum, and thereby causeing a mechanincal interferance rather than applying the force to the shoes and drum.

The variables I wrote about are recognized as affecting braking force on drum braked applications and could be well worth looking into since this are normal wear and replace issues.

I believe that both the adjusment sequence and the inspection and correction if need be of brake/ drum fitment as well as a softer brake material compostion should be included together in order to get at the issue of why a particualr van's emergency brakes don't hold the vehicle as well another van.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat