Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:50:18 -0700
From:         Simon Reinhardt <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>
Subject:      First Trip on New Engine (long)

Well, not a NEW engine, but the new-to-me Audi 2.0 I recently installed in the '86 syncro Westy. Anyway, a week-long trip was planned from Denver, CO to the general vicinity of Albuquerque, NM. We left the morning of the 19th and stuck to I-25 the whole way. An hour into the trip, I decided I really didn't like where the coolant needle was sitting, but the light didn't blink, and it didn't seem to be boiling. Around Pueblo, CO, my wife went out back to visit my son, and complained about a burning smell. Said she thought it was a belt. I let that eat at me for a few miles- I didn't smell anything, but my belt setup IS pretty weird. Finally I pulled off to look, and yes, there WAS a burning smell wafting up the side scoops- but organic-ey, not belt-ey. So, unpack the back, pull out the mattress, yank out the carpeting, flip up the lid- yup, smoke, from way down low 'n front. NOW I knew what was up. So, under the van, and remove the diesel "Noise Capsule". It starts smoking wildly as soon as the wind hits what's left of the "NASA insulation" that I obviously placed too close to the exhaust. I hate being a dumbass sometimes. I left off the noise capsule, and it ran a little cooler and smoke-free the rest of the way South. After a little relaxing, I took the van to my step-father's hot rod shop to check the timing. It should have been about 8-10 degrees, but was 15! I guess I know why the van still ran hot... must have jogged the distributor when I put the clamp on. Easily fixed, and no readily apparent holes in my pistons. In return for me doing some wiring on a Corvette, my step-father welded four nice light mounts onto my brush bar. That made the whole trip worthwhile- why stay in Denver and have some muffler shop do $5 of welding, when I can blow a wad on lotsa gas and eat bad food? Speaking of gasoline, my mileage before the swap, on a really tired 2.1, was 17.5 mpg. Mileage on this 1216-mile trip was 24 mpg!!! On the way back, we stayed at Great Sand Dunes N.M. near Alamosa, CO. I'm pretty sure temps got down under 20F. It's a good thing our son's still small enough to share a bed with us, because popping the top would have killed us all. I highly recommend Sand Dunes. It's just plain awesome. We took Hwy 285 the rest of the way back to Denver (actually, we'd been on it since Santa Fe), and it's one of the nicest drives I've had in Colorado. We'll be using it instead of the Interstate from now on. Performance? I had to shift to 3rd a few times, but that was it, and we cleared Raton Pass at 50 mph. Compare that to 30 mph in 2nd, with the wasserleaker. All in all, I'm still very happy. The engine conversion did everything I'd hoped for- i.e., it didn't grenade. -Simon