Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Nov 2002 01:16:11 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: glad to meet you
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

I just got back from chatting in person with Lynn of Larson's VW in Tacoma who lives close to here . He doesn't' have a magic answer either. He is light years ahead of us all when it comes to VW technicians. This guy's knowledge is really amazing. He had some good suggestions, several of which several of you have made. Which means several of you are very smart also. I knew this or I wouldn't ask you.

The Digifant ll system has worked for me so well for 6 years that when this problem arose it caught me unprepared. What Lynn recommends is to follow the 25 pin ECU connection harness diagnostic as per Bentley with an ohm meter. It may be more of a mechanical or intake related . Could be wiring resistance .

I'm going to do this testing and go over some other areas I have not checked assuming they were OK. At this point it could be anything.

It's pretty sure it's not any of the fuel injection system components. So maybe a wiring or air leak problem. I'll check all battery grounds, etc.

Lynn noticed that when it was cutting out , that the tachometer didn't zero. It dropped, but if it had zeroed that would mean power was lost. So the ignition switch, relays are all working. Lynn also pointed out that changing from one system to a later one doesn't rid you of problems, and that there isn't any VW system that doesn't have it's share of problems. Computerized engine management is not perfected!

Robert K

1982 West-fail-eeyuh

----- Original Message ----- Wrom: YUCDDJBLVLMHAA Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 10:56 PM To: warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: glad to meet you

This sounds like the same problem that stumped me this spring when I was installing a Digifant II 2.0L just like what you have. I machined down the intake manifold so I wouldn't have to pound as big of a dent in the side wall. Anyhow - as one machines down the intake manifold the intake runners move with respect to the bolts that held it in place. To make a long story short is was an air leak in my intake system that caused it to do this. It would buck, snort, back fire (LOTS of fire). To figure out where the leak was coming from I removed the AFM and stuck in a plastic ABS end with an adapter for my air compressor - I set it to about 20 PSI and set the motor to TDC and then listened for the hiss - sure enough it was leaking around the intake manifold gasket. It was VERY frustrating - several AFMs, 3 ECUs a lot of stuff went into this in the end simple problem. Don't give up on the Digifant II system - it does work quite well!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

-----Original Message----- Wrom: LPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHG Of Robert Keezer Sent: November 25, 2002 7:25 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: glad to meet you

.bat! .exe! .com! .cutting out! Dot SHocked? Jolted? Lurched? Dot fooled? Sorry to fool you, but so my engine has been fooling me!

SO I resort to deceptive measures hoping to jolt the answer out of a list experts mind! There are list experts, aren't there?

I have searched everything on my engine. It's a SEARCH ENGINE! I searched for the problem-I'm still searching!

A few days ago I posted my Vanagon engine ( 2.0 '95 Golf /Digifant ll) was cutting out. After four days of troubleshooting(that's four full days), I threw up my hands and asked the list. I took your advice and thought I found the reason -a bad ECU. I e-mailed the list to say thanks and went on a 250 mile trip.

At the 200 mile mark the engine stalled on the freeway. The cutting out is back with a vengeance. The way to deal with it while on the trip is to turn off the ignition, then back on and let out the clutch. Now it lurches every two seconds. I'm about to throw my hands out and empty my wallet at a repair shop. SO far I have only been able to throw parts at the problem. Everything checks out ok. The air flow meter has been swapped to three other good working ones. But the symptoms seem to be AFM related.

What else can cause these symptoms? Just as you start out in first, the engines dies, then starts, then dies, like every 2 seconds. If you try to floor it, then the lurching becomes violent to the point you think the engine will rip loose from it's mounts.

The nature of this is that I can start it up after sending this message, and it might run fine around the block or down the freeway 10 miles before it starts cutting out. Then it will go away after I restart the engine . The cutting out comes and goes at random without any definite pattern. It's unpredictable.

I have had four years of reliability and one week of trouble so this is not a reason to change over to Moronic, or is it? Can the Hall sender cause this? I need some more ideas!

I'm going out now to check the idle and full throttle switch. Digifant ll is similar to Vanagon Digifant with the exception of an idle stabilization control relay .

Digifant ll incorporates all control functions in one box.

The components : are ECU, Cool temp sensor, AFM, Idle stabilizer, O2 Sensor, idle /full throttle switches, Hall control, Hall sender, Fuel pump, pressure regulator, and injectors.

Any suggestions ?Or should I take these questions to a Golf-Jetta list?

Robert

1982 Westfalia more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.comGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com