Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:36:05 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front folding jumpseats project
Comments: To: kelphoto@highspeedplus.com

In a message dated 11/23/02 11:40:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, kelphoto@highspeedplus.com writes:

<< ... I'm wondering this same type of thing with a middle front flip down seat. We happen to have a Nissan King Cab pickup, that has the fold down seats behind the front seats. I'd like to Keep going with the this idea. I'll look at the structure and see what I think it would take for this type of folding seat to work and post back.>>

Likewise.

<< I would also like to add a two person rear facing bench seat, but have a captain's chair in the left rear facing position, so I can't put in the standard Vanagon two person bench, the arm rest interfers on width needed. So any ideas? A different bench from a wrecking yard, or maybe just a three person rear bench, and remove the captains chair except for trips. On second thought I'd really like to keep the captain's chair ;permanently installed and just have a two person bench, lighter to lift in and out. >>

Mark, I'm not clear on which rear facing seat you are referring to. Two types of rear facing seats are usually available. One is bolted in the left rear facing position. Armrest for those is in the plastic panel. These seats are not easily removable. Then there's the removable folding and rear facing jumpseats. IIRC, none of those are available w/ armrests in US spec vehicles. They did show up w/ armrests in the European spec Oettinger Caravelles. Since your signature line says 91 Carat, I am assuming this is the latter is what you have. In which case you should have one in both the left and right sides.

You can certainly install a 2-person middle bench there. You can always unbolt the leftside armrest so that it can fit with the Carat plastic sidepanels. Then you can;t effectively use the left side rear facing seat as the seat bottoms would interfere w/ each other. You can still use the rightside jumpseat. In effect this would give you, eight person seating. If you are missing the rightside jumpseat, you can simply use the one from the leftside which as long as you have the correct mounts in there.

I don't understand what you mean by "...or maybe just a three person rear bench, ...". I assume you mean middle bench. The rear most bench is a 3-person seat already in the Carat. The 3-person middle benches are quite rare in the US.

BenT <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>