Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:14:04 -0800
From:         H R <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: emergency brakes

In my experience, often the rear brakes don't work, because they have been installed wrong. I once bought a vanagon for which the po had a complete brake job by a professional tire shop, with receipt and all. The emergency brake didn't work at all. On closer inspection, it turned out the mechanic tried to tighten the cable at the spreader all the way to the stop. Apparently that didn't work, so he installed a 10mm socket from his tool set, as a spacer, to get more tension on the cable. That was done by so called "professionals". I took the rear brake assembly apart, and reinstalled it according to Bentley, and the emergency brake worked great, holding the vanagon on the steepest grades after 3 clicks. The vanagon brakes, even the hand brake, can be very good. For safety reasons, it's imperative they work. How are you going to take a trip in the mountains, if you can't park your vanagon safely? Vanagons in Europe would never pass the TUV if they wouldn't have good brakes. Some other things I've learned over the years about the vanagon brakes: Only use OEM German brand brake shoes. Insist on them and pay extra. Aftermarket brake shoes just don't have the holding power. Also check the thickness of the drum. If your drum is worn down, replace it. Sometimes brake shoes are glazed from heat or contaminants. Replace them. Get a rear brake hardware kit with all the springs and clips, etc. Properly working brakes should be self-adjusting, once installed correctly. But I can reassure you the vanagon brakes are designed to work well. Harald Go here to read about lots of vanagon trips in the PNW http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/index.htm '90 westy