Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:13:00 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: WARNING: SOUTH AFRICAN QUAD LIGHT GRILLES INCITE ROAD RAGE...
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

Yes, you will have four lights on during high beam operation - that is correct (the outer 7" become brighter too). Only two lights on during low beam operation - this would be the outer 7" lights only. Take a looks at an 86-92 Vanagon with the four lights - when do the center lights come on - only during high beam is the answer.

My Turbo Diesel has a pair 8" Hella Rallye 1000 driving lights mounted on it. These will light up road signs 3km away (seriously) and they are *only* driving lights. I would *NOT* want to be in front of my TD with these lights on - even if regular lights were on low beam. Hence these lights have a switch that will ground the relay (85 terminal) when activated so I can make these lights stay off when I want them to be that way. When I switch to high beam the 12V going to the high beam goes to the 86 terminal of the relay - causing the relay to activate and turn on the lights. The switch can NOT independently turn on the driving lights without the regular lights being in 'high beam' mode. If the switch is off - the relay won't activate and the lights stay off.

In short your 'driving lights' are auxiliary high beams - be nice use them that way. Remember two wrongs don't make a right.

There is NO overkill on high beam!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models