Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:24:35 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Ten Bar oil pressure .......... you gotta be kidding. Long
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Several weeks ago I secured a Ten Bar oil pressure Gage and sender from a 944 Porsche. Lets see; ten bar thats about 147 psi gauge. Out of boredom I decided to install the gage on my 83 Air Cooled Westfalia. The sender appears to be the same as what I've been using on the Audi gauges I've been running and selling for a couple of years and easily installed on my T fitting. After installing the gage I cranked the engine (40 degrees + or - 5 degrees) with 15/50 Mobil 1 oil. Surprisingly the gage dial jumped up to 8 bar immediately. I decided to make a 40+ mile trip that I was sure would bring my engine to full operating temperatures of 210 + or - ten degrees. Within a few minutes the gage was indicating approximately 5 bar and that is about what I would be reading with the Audi 6 bar gage at 70 mph that I've been using. Since the trip involved no time at idle I was interested to see if the idle pressure would settle down at the 22-27 psi that I normally have at 900/1000 rpms on a warm engine and Yoh! There it was as I waited at a stoplight. Convincing me that I was getting true readings from the gauge setup. On my return trip I ran the Westy up to about 75 mph and held it there for a full ten minutes (no wind, no hills). Even calculating for Speedometer error I was running a full hard 4000 rpms. The Ten Bar gauge registered 7 bar with the oil temp gauge hovering at 100 Celsius and not moving. The CHT showed 350 and just hung there without fluctuation. Once again entering normal traffic flow the gauge responded accordingly showing 3.5 bar at 2400 rpms. My oil pressure sender is mounted at the stock location on top of the main oil gallery. After arriving home I let the Westy sit for an hour and pulled the oil pressure relief valve out of the port and found it to be free moving both with and without the spring installed. The plunger dropped out easily with just gravity and returned to the upmost position with almost no force from my #2 pencil I was using to exercise the plunger. It seems a mystery to me that this spring is supposed to relieve pressure and go to bypass at approximately 47 psi (I've never seen this specification in print). I built this as a stock engine and the only non stock modifications was the installation of Porsche oil pump gear set in the VW housing and an external oil cooler sandwich plate that required blocking the stock bypass check ball in the oil filter mounting pedestal. Since I've driven this engine in almost every type of hill, cross wind, head wind situation for the last 18 months and I've never seen any drop from the original oil pressures that I saw in the first 1000 miles I'm assuming that the bearings aren't washed out and the pressure hasn't hurt anything internally. I haven't had case leaks or oil consumption or loss of any memorable amount. I'm accustomed to seeing 5.5 to 6 bar at normal highway speeds of 70/75 mph at full operating temperatures I often questioned the gauge but accepted the stability of the needle as proof if proper function. I'm very tempted to go out tomorrow and buy a good quality Stewart Warner 150 psi mechanical oil pressure gauge and install it since I've already got a 1/8" steel line installed for a mechanical gage. I've never seen these types of pressures on a type 4 engine in the seven or eight engines that I've installed gauges on. Another thing that strikes me as purely strange is that the little Splittie I've got with the modified engine will gin out 60+ psi at 70 mph and full temperatures. I've seen a lot of acceptable ranges quoted on oil pressures but very little on the actual pressures that engines routinely run at. I decided to get this into the archives since so very little is ever posted that relates to experiments with oil pumps and various operating temperatures.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com